Quinoa Bean Burger
Adapted with permission from Kitchen Cures (Penguin) by Peggy Kotsopoulos
- 1 1/2 cup cooked red kidney beans
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (or 100% pure rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, steams removed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds mixed with 1/3 cup water
- In a food processor, add beans, cilantro, onion, oil, garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Purée until smooth.
- Mix in chia mixture into the bean mixture. Mix in quinoa and quinoa flakes (or rolled oats) until the mixture is sticky and holds together.
- Divide mixture into four patties. Grease grill pan with coconut oil and cook about 6 minutes each side.
Peggy Kotsopoulos is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RHN) and culinary consultant focused on teaching real health through lifestyle and dietary choices that are easy and delicious! Visit the Thrive Forward Contributors page to learn more about Peggy K.