Sweet Potato Ginger Soup
This soup can be prepared in advance but will need a final warming, approximately 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving.
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1-15 oz. can coconut milk
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock may not need all of it
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- optional Pinch of cayenne or curry powder
- optional 1 Tbsp cilantro
- optional Whole cilantro leaves, for garnish
- optional Lime wedges, for garnish
- Boil sweet potatoes in slightly salted water until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Drain.
- Purée cooked potatoes in blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender in the pot. Add some stock (¼ cup) to the blender to thin it out as needed.
- Pour purée back into a large pot and warm gently over medium heat
- Pour in coconut milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Add stock 1 cup at a time until soup has reached desired consistency (you may only need the one cup).
- Add 1 tsp each of pepper and salt (less salt will be needed if prepared stock vs. homemade stock is used)
- Stir in minced ginger (and a pinch of cayenne or curry powders for an optional spicy kick).
- Stir in minced cilantro (optional) 9 Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with whole leaves of cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges (optional).