Adapted with permission from Kitchen Cures (Penguin) by Peggy Kotsopoulos
For the filling:
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the taco seasoning*:
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/2 to 1 chipotle pepper packed in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp of adobo sauce from the jar of chipotle peppers
- 1/4 cup water
For the taco shells:
- 1 head bibb lettuce, leaves separated, OR
- Sprouted grain or gluten-free organic corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted
- Red onion, finely diced
- Tomato, diced
- Sunflower sprouts
- Red cabbage, shredded
- Cilantro leaves
Make the taco seasoning:
- Stir all ingredients together well in a small bowl. Store in a tightly sealed jar.
Make the taco filling:
- Soak the walnuts in water for about an hour. Drain thoroughly.
- Process soaked walnuts to the texture of cooked ground beef/turkey.
- With the processor running, pour in the olive oil. Scrape into a serving bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning*.
Make the sauce:
- Blend all sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl. (Start with half a chipotle pepper, taste, and add more to increase spicy heat to your preference).
- Spoon some of the walnut mix into a lettuce leaf.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the walnuts and top with toppings of your choice.
- * You will not need all the taco seasoning for one recipe. Reserve extra seasoning for future use.
Peggy Kotsopoulos is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist who’s energy and passion for her work is infectious. She is the host of television show Peggy K’s Kitchen Cures on Veria Living TV, and author of Kitchen Cures (Penguin). She is also a returning guest on NBC’s Today Show, The Talk on CBS and resident nutritionist on The Steven and Chris show, airing on CBC and ABC’s Live Well network. And as a spokesperson, she’s a huge lover of Vega! Her press coverage, lectures and recipes have spanned across the globe inspiring and educating others on how to live a healthier, happier and more vibrant life.